Gift Card Growth Attracts Fraudsters
The popularity of gift cards has attracted fraudsters and opened up the opportunity for huge losses for online and brick-and-mortar retailers alike.
Kount protects retailers and gift card distributors by not allowing stolen or compromised gift cards to be used or purchased, cutting off the fraudsters’ money source and opportunity to disrupt your sales.
Kount’s unique features make it easy to accept more customers and control fraud losses by providing:
- Real-time fraud detection and control
- Review of and protection from any payment type
- Powerful rules-based process to enhance detection
- Advanced mobile fraud detection
- Our service to international customers from 180 countries
“Customer safety is important to InComm, and we realized it would take us years to develop the required tools to protect our customers from the threat of fraud unique to virtual gift cards. We decided to take a proactive approach to fraud prevention by partnering with Kount, a leader in this area,” says Niul Bird, Director of eCommerce Applications at InComm.
Within seven months of implementation, Kount helped Spotify expand internationally to 40+ new countries. The number of chargebacks dropped immediately and dramatically from 10% chargeback rate on e-card transactions to 0.1% - 0.2%. Bottom line: Spotify eliminated USD $145,000 in monthly chargebacks costs and lost revenues.
Download the case studies
Simply fill out the form below and you will receive a download link in an email.
Real-time Fraud Protection Means Customers Don’t Wait
Real-Time Analysis and Scoring
Consumers don’t want to wait to purchase a gift card, send an e-gift certificate or redeem pre-paid cards.
The Kount Score is a highly accurate way to quantify the risk of fraudulent activity using information from billions of purchase attempts, logins and account creations.
Reviewing hundreds of data points, the Kount system generates the Kount Score in an average of only 300 milliseconds, for every transaction. You can even customize your own scorecard or several scorecards to meet your specific needs.
Multiple Interlocking Technologies
Fraudsters are smart, sophisticated and determined to steal from you. That’s why Kount uses multiple proprietary and patented technologies to stop fraud before it affects your bottom line and your customer’s experience.
The Kount award-winning platform includes features such as: active and passive device identification (including mobile device ID), velocity checks, IP geo-location, proxy detection and Persona™ linking technology to detect and prevent fraudulent activity. And, the AutoAgent™ feature eliminates the need for time consuming manual order reviews.
Robust Risk Decision Rules Engine
The Kount Risk Decision Rules Engine uses a point-and-click interface, enabling clients to configure rules based on an unlimited number of criteria in a matter of minutes. This makes it easy to adjust, create and test rules in real time to counter new fraud attacks or to accommodate changes in business strategy. Kount clients can change the rules themselves or work with the Kount merchant services team.
Schedule a Demo
Increase conversions today, schedule a live demo.
At Kount, even our customers find it hard to believe that our Kount Complete™ solution works as well as it does. So, why not see for yourself? In just a few minutes we’ll show you how better fraud detection and prevention can lead to increased sales, fewer orders declined and operational efficiencies that reduce the overall cost of your fraud/risk mitigation process. Make every transaction Kount.
Request a demo today and a Kount representative will contact you to schedule an appointment.
Ready to see more?
Start streamlining your fraud and risk management operation today!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Changing rules in my current system require me to submit a request to my fraud vendor and have them change and implement it. How does the rules engine in Kount work?
- Kount was developed to be easy to implement and easy to use. After some initial training, most of our customers are comfortable creating or duplicating rules by themselves. This can be completed in just a few minutes in most cases. If the need for more complex rule development is necessary, the Kount Merchant Services team is only a phone call away.
- We accept several payment types to purchase our gift cards, including PayPal. What payment methods work with Kount?
- Because Kount is not tied to a payment processor or specific card brand, will work with any payment type (both real and virtual), from any platform and from anywhere in the world.
- We see a lot of gift cards that are purchased in retail outlets and used on our online store. Can Kount tell me whether those are good or not?
- Kount reviews hundreds of variables with every transaction. When fraudsters attempt to use stolen payment methods, like a gift card, Kount detects it and creates a Kount Score based on the data collected and analyzes it. Along with the Kount Risk Decision Rules Engine, merchants can determine whether the transaction is too risky and either decline it outright or conduct a manual review of the order.
- Reducing fraud is important, but if it slows down approvals or reduces conversion rates it may be worse than no fraud detection at all, right?
- Consumers expect an iTunes or Amazon experience and do not want to wait for approvals or be insulted with a decline if their transaction looks a little fishy. They don’t want to wait or be given special instructions before they are allowed to download or purchase. Kount responds to transaction information in an average of just 300 milliseconds, often faster than the bank’s approval, so there is no delay and no negative impact on conversion rates.
- We subscribe to a database of lost/stolen credit cards, other fraud transactions and so on. Why would we need Kount?
- Fraud happens quickly. Nearly 90 percent of online fraud takes place within the first 24 hours of a card being compromised. That means traditional look-up technologies are just not fast enough for today’s criminal. Kount reviews hundreds of pieces of information and gives the merchant analyzed information in less than a second. In fact, our average response time globally is about 300 milliseconds.